Wednesday 9 February 2011

The city I live in...



I'd never noticed how noisy living in Moscow was until today when, walking to the Metro station after finishing work, I realised how eerily quiet it had become.  Normally the perpetual rush and hum of the city overcrowds thought, exhausting the mind as a relentless battle for space within it is waged; this time, however, I opted to tune in and was rightfully astonished at how quiet everything seemed.  


Perhaps it was the light snow-fall after a prolonged period without that reminds the Russian people that winter is far from over or perhaps, after almost a month and a half, I am becoming more attuned to the city's natural rhythms.  Whatever it happened to be, it sadly didn't last for long, as even on the 22nd (and top) floor of my building, I can hear cars far below honking and tonking, a solitary dog yapping at the moon and the mournful wheeze and choke of an accordion being slowly strangled in the room next to mine.


Oh, but for the sound of silence.
___________________________________________________________________


"Take this quartergo downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off."


-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment