Thursday 26 May 2011

If only...

Despite having no real interest in the films to speak of, over the years I've played a surprising number of Star Wars games (Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, Tie-Fighter, Rebel Assault, Star Wars: Pod Racer-best driving game ever by the way, after the original Super Mario Kart, of course-Jedi Knight, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Academy, KotOR I and II, Empire at War, Star Wars Lego: The Complete Saga and even the rail shooter for the ZX-Spectrum, simply titled Star Wars). 

Ever since I can remember the PC-Zone magazine previews of Jedi Knight 2, and my brother and I dangerously re-enacting lightsabre duels whilst wielding old, heavy plastic tennis racquets during school summer holidays in South-Western Scotland, however, I couldn't help but secretly hope the day would come when I could purchase a multiplayer version of the game-one that would allow friends to band together for much needed Force fun.

Like when Revan used the spreader bar on Bastila Shan.

What with the media coverage and intensifying hype surrounding the impending release of Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG, that day is looking increasingly likely; although I have my doubts that it will be anything more than a Star Wars themed contender to World of Warcraft's gold-hewn throne. 

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the two games that TOR will inevitably borrow from-The Knights of the Old Republic and its maddeningly disappointing follow-up, Knights of the Old Republic II.  As perhaps some of you may know (or not, as is most likely), Bioware refrained from developing The Knights of the Old Republic II in order to focus on their own intellectual properties, which ultimately gave birth to the excellent and ever-playable space-opera, Mass Effect.  A couple of years later, Bioware bestowed upon us the superlative sequel, Mass Effect 2.  Laid carefully next to one another, one can quite clearly see the evolution between both the series.

Of course, another of Bioware's highly anticipated games-Mass Effect 3-is due to come out at the end of this year, but given how much the company imported from KoTOR into Mass Effect, would it ever be possible for them to consider doing the same for a Mass Effect MMORPG using what they've learned on The Old Republic?

Food for thought.
_________________________________________________________________


"It's a Trap!"

-D.

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed how long it's been since I last checked your blog. Bad Ryan. I particularly enjoyed this entry, of course. My favourite memory referenced was not, in fact, battering the fuck out of red 'tennis' rackets, but Rebel Fucking Assault. To your list, let me add Galactic Battlegrounds (not bad) and Demolition (real bad). Though I managed to avoid Super Bombad Racing, thank god...

    ReplyDelete